Wed, Aug 10, 2022
OPEN ACCESS
Volume 2, Issue 2 (APRIL 2003)                   Payesh 2003, 2(2): 147-154 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Vahdaninia M, Harirchi A.M, Montazeri A. Five- year survival in Iranian breast cancer patients: a prospective study. Payesh. 2003; 2 (2) :147-154
URL: http://payeshjournal.ir/article-1-847-en.html
Abstract:   (7535 Views)
Objective(s): To examine survival rate in Iranian breast cancer patients.
Material & Methods: One hundred and sixty- seven breast cancer patients diagnosed at 1997 were entered into the study and followed up for five years.
Results: The mean age of patients at diagnosis was 47.2 (SD=13.5) ranging from 24 to 81 years. In all 39 patients were lost in the follow- up period. This led to analysis of data for the 128 remaining patients. Of these at five years 79 patients were alive and 49 patients were dead. Most patients (61 %) presented with advanced disease (stage III, n=42 and stage IV, n=36). The remaining 39% had stag I (n=lO) or stage II (n=40) breast cancer. Using the life table analysis the overall 5-year survival rate was found to be 62% (SEM=0.04) In addition, after adjustment for age at diagnosis, initial treatment (mastectomy, breast conserving surgery, and neo-adjuvant therapy), and disease stage, using The Cox's regression model, it was found that receiving neo-adjuvant therapy as initial treatment was an independent predictor of poorer survival (Hazard ratio= 4.56, 95%CI=2.20 to 9.044, P<0.0001). The other variables (older age and late stage disease) although showing a higher hazard rate were not significant.
Conclusion: The study findings suggest that overall survival rate in Iranian breast cancer patients stands between western and eastern European countries and needs to be improved. It seems that early detection and better management using standard guidelines could contribute considerably to improved survival in women who are experiencing breast cancer.
Full-Text [PDF 275 kb]   (1921 Downloads)    
type of study: Research | Subject: Medical
Accepted: 2018/11/28 | Published: 2003/04/15

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:
CAPTCHA

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

© 2022 All Rights Reserved | Payesh (Health Monitor)

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb